The art of vision......experience the extra time and care we take
Tips for AMD patients
If you’ve been diagnosed with AMD, making a few simple lifestyle changes could have a positive impact on the health of your retina.
• Monitor your vision daily with an Amsler grid. By checking
your vision regularly, changes that may require treatment can be detected early.
• Take a multi-vitamin with zinc. (Check with your Optometrist for a recommendation). Antioxidants, along with zinc and lutein are essential nutrients, all found in the retina. It is believed that people with AMD may be deficient in these nutrients.
• Incorporate dark leafy green vegetables into your diet. These include spinach, collard greens, kale and turnip greens.
• Always protect your eyes with sunglasses that have UV protection. Ultraviolet rays are believed to cause damage to the pigment cells in the retina.
• Quit smoking. Smoking impairs the body’s circulation, decreasing the efficiency of the retinal blood vessels.
• Exercise regularly. Cardiovascular exercise improves the body’s overall health and increases the efficiency of the circulatory system.